Monday, 23 January 2012

on this great city

I was fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to undertake a four-week elective in Vancouver. Coming in to Vancouver, I wasn't sure what to expect of this unfamiliar city. I have only been here once, back in August 2008, when I had to fly here for an interview with the University of Sydney Faculty of Medicine. Little did I know then how much my life would change! Little did I know then that I would also be back here doing an elective!

When it came time to selecting a city in which to do my elective, Vancouver seemed to be the ideal candidate. For one thing, I didn't exactly want to stay around Toronto (despite the fact that it is my home city) because I wanted to explore a new environment. As well, I enjoyed my time here so much back in 2008 such that I looked forward to getting to know more of this great city. I have no regrets coming here even for a short time, and I am really sad about leaving in a few days.

Upon arriving at Vancouver, I was a bit apprehensive because I did not know anyone here. I was worried that I'd end up feeling lonely and isolated. I was also a bit anxious that it would be raining all the time and I'd end up feeling depressed, due to the lack of sunshine. Shortly after I arrived however, I found out that a close friend of mine is living in Victoria (a ferry ride from Vancouver) and a classmate from undergrad was working here too. Lucky for me, I was able to visit my friend in Victoria and to see this foreign city, as well as to have been able to catch up over dinner with this classmate. On top of all this, another friend of mine (whom I met while working at the physio clinic before moving to Sydney) was in town for a few days. I was able to meet up with him and to explore the downtown area of Vancouver. Catching up with friends in a different city is so much fun!

To my surprise, as the weeks went by, I grew to love living in Vancouver. Its physical features are beautiful and unsurpassable. There are so many things to do and places to explore. Not to mention, the shopping here is fantastic! I also love the fact that Vancouverites make such a conscious effort to protect their environment by taking on habits that are "green". Moreover, I respect the fact that Vancouverites love physical activity: there are lots of cyclists and runners out and about the streets every day, even when it's raining! I admired such dedication, and it inspired me to get back into physical activity.

I loved this daily routine that I developed while living here. You see, I am a routine-loving type of girl! I'd be in hospital beginning at 9 am each morning, until about 4 to 5 pm. Afterwards, I would then head to the gym and do an hour's worth of cardio + strength training. I then went home subsequently for dinner, and relaxed by watching videos online, before heading off to bed by around 11 pm. The following day, I'd repeat this whole routine and made it my daily grind.

Now, I am but days away from leaving Vancouver. Inevitably, this would lead to my daily routine being thrown off, and this causes me a lot of anxiety. Furthermore, just as I've become so comfortable in these new surroundings, I am flying off at the week's end.

Certainly, it would be a dream to come back to Vancouver in the future to do my Residency. The doctors at the hospital have been so kind, gracious, and encouraging that it would be an honour to return and work with them. At this point in time, I am setting a goal to fulfill this dream.

You've really captured my heart Vancouver, and I look forward to the next time we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment